Friday 22 November 2013

GORILLA TREK or FINDING MY ANCESTORS

In 73 days I will be heading to Nairobi for a 14 day African adventure with Nomad Tours.

The journey starts right now with research & getting fitter, thinner, organised and prepared.

For now I am learning the bald facts about the fascinating places of Kenya and Uganda.
After the trip  I hope to create captivating tales as I add the tastes and smells, emotions, textures, the people and the stories to the facts I have read.


I have been poring over maps, calculating distances and even viewing pics of the Nomad trucks we will be travelling in. Wanna see them ?   Nomad trucks 

 Being a very short person (4ft 11 and three quarter inches) my first Google search was
 " How tall are the Batwa people." (Previously known as Pygmies)

What I read on Wikipedia was scary.

On average, they are only three quarters of an inch shorter than me.  
So actually, a tall Pygmy, or one with big hair, could be taller than me. This poses a real threat.  
I could  be kidnapped and hailed as their Pale Queen,or caged in their museum as a curiosity.
Realistically, I will probably be greeted graciously and entertained, seen as just another short tourist, but still.
Sometimes my inner drama queen gets carried away. 

The Nomad website is encyclopedic in the information available to wanna be adventurers.

I now know all this and more :

What to pack   |   I need to go shopping

I  need two Visas  |  Embassies work on African time and are not available on a Friday afternoon

I will have salad for supper one night  |  because I loathe babotie

I could get eaten by a tree climbing lion   | I probably won't be, but it sounds adventurous (the drama queen coming out again, sorry! )

The trucks have no air-con  |  I have hot flushes, this is challenging for women my age

I am a fan of the "wrap yourself in a wet kikoi" hot flush remedy, but any other tips on beating the heat will be welcomed with sweaty, open arms.

This weekend I will be looking into the Maasai people , the Maasai Mara National Reserve as well as the Chimpanzee Sanctuary of Ngamba Island and Lake Naivasha.

Any tips, fun facts and pics are welcome, please share them with me, and I will hopefully give you some info you did not know in my next post.

The #GorillaGirls adventure is going to be epic. 




No comments:

Post a Comment